Monday, July 21, 2008

Share your library.

"I marvel that church people are so indifferent to, and neglectful of, the book that tells them about their Saviour. But I marvel more that church LEADERS are doing so little about it. Unquestionably the most fatal weakness of the present day Church is the lack of leadership in the pulpit on this one point of guiding and leading its people into the ONE HABIT that is the source and basis of everything that the church exists to accomplish in its people. ... If it isn't the pulpit's business, then just what is the pulpit's business?

What the church is for: To HOLD CHRIST before the people. The church was not invented by men. Men have used it and misused it. But the church was founded by Christ. Christ is the heart of the church, and it's Lord. The church exists to bear witness to Christ.  Christ himself, not the church, is the transforming power in men's lives.  The mission of the church is to exalt Christ, so that He Himself may do his own blessed work on the hearts of men."

I took this from Halley's Bible Handbook by Henry H. Halley (Zondervan, 1965), in which the front page says "The most important Page in This Book is 814."  Those paragraphs are what I found on page 814.  All of the capitalized statements are not my own, but are actually in print as such.  

Having only been a Christian for 5 years, and having only experienced one church community (which is wonderful), there are a lot of questions I haven't thought about, like, "What constitutes a church?",  "Is megachurch a fad?",  "What is the best, most effective way to grow a church?",  and "What has to change organizationally as a church grows?"  Only recently have I come into those discussions, and in doing so, I realized I have a huge lack of sound doctrine.   There's a lot that I don't know about church history, and I am fresh in my study of patristics.

I've picked up a few biographies, autobiographies, and books on church history, and it seems for every one I read, I need ten more to elaborate.  Feel free to recommend anything from your library.     

From all of that, here's the first foundation I've come to:  Recognizing Christ as the head of the church and realizing that ultimately it's up to Jesus to grow His church is necessary, and liberating.   I can worry much less about keeping my options open because God creates opportunities.  I don't grow the church, but I should be obedient and use my gifts (from God) for the opportunities (from God) in whatever location or organization He appoints for me.  All of life becomes much less about me and the things I need to do, and much more focused on what He has already done, and where I fit into what He's doing.

I'm learning I think a very important lesson.

No comments: