Monday, December 1, 2008

Arrival

This post will be entirely dedicated to my love for the month of December, and in particular today, the pinnacle day of every year, which is December 1st.  I am perhaps slightly biased, since it is my birthday, but nonetheless, December 1st is epic.  If you don't share my sentiments, let me sway you with this entry.
  

Things I remember learning in school about December 1st:

*December 1st was the day Abraham Lincoln gave his famous State of the Union address ("Fellow citizens, we cannot escape history.  We of this Congress and this Administration will be remembered in spite of ourselves... We say we are for the Union; the world will not forget that we say this.")

*December 1st was the day that Rosa Parks was arrested in Montgomery, Alabama, an event leading to the Montgomery Bus Boycott.

*While sitting in Mrs. Scofield's 5th grade class in 1998, our principal interrupted class to talk about Exxon's acquisition of Mobil, thus creating Exxon-Mobil, the world's largest company.  Why talk about it to a bunch of cup-cake-faced 5th grader's, I have no idea, but it wasted an additional 20 minutes of class, so we were all for it.  (On a side note, why was it that you always supplied birthday fun for the whole class when it was your birthday?)

*Not really from school, but more from my friend Constantin Bosancianu of Romania, today is Romania's national day.

*From one of my bioengineering prof's in Fayetteville; today is World Aids Day.  We learned a little about the genetic tendencies of the virus, and we are, so I'm led to believe, within ten years of finding a prevention for AIDS (not curing or reversing, but developing immunizations.)  Apparently AIDS was officially recognized on December 1st, 1988.  Starbucks has chosen to highlight this, so get a cup of coffee every day for the entirety of December.

*Nine of my twenty-one December 1st's have marked the first snow of the year, and four of them have actually been snow-days, which is great when you're a kid, and even greater your freshman year of college.

*Today is also the birthday of the brilliant N.T. Wright.  Hm.

Yes friends, today is December 1st, 2008.  Today is my 21st birthday, and today, I have been baptized for 6 years.  Like I said, today is epic.  So let's relish together in the greatness of December, particularly this day, the pinnacle day of every year.  Convinced?


1 comment:

Justin said...

You should feel honored to share your birthday with NT Wright. Hmm is right